Monday, July 18, 2011

-- Mount Rushmore... and More

Zzzz...  [yawn]

Why do we have to get up so early, I wonder?  Oh yeah, today is the day we get to go to Mount Rushmore.  Since it has been averaging over 100 degrees for the last 4 days, my mom and dad don't want to leave me in the Supervan in the midday heat while they check out Mount Rushmore.

The drive there was chock full of winding turns and since my mom was riding shotgun this morning, sitting on the back seat was making me dizzy. 

We drove through single-lane tunnels and the Supervan barely fit! 



And then more winding roads...


The second tunnel was a little squishier...  it was only 8'4" wide ...  my mom had to get out of the Supervan to help guide my dad through it...


We passed a few lakes along the way...


The last tunnel was a breeze.  It wasn't very high, but it was wider...

And then we arrived at Mount Rushmore National Memorial Park ...



Here's a profile of George Washington:

We left Mount Rushmore and drove north.  We saw another beautiful lake and my dad said we could check it out.  It was called the Pactola Reservior.  There were campsites there and my dad said we could stay...  I was so excited, I couldn't wait to jump in the lake ...

... and I didn't want to get out so I brought my mom a stick ...

 And then I brought my dad a stick ...


When I got back on shore, I overheard my mom and dad talking about how they were eating too much on this road trip, and so they agreed to eat less and exercise more-- starting tomorrow...

Yeah right... 



I was getting pretty tired after all of that stick-fetching and laughing.  I shared some lake water with my dad ...

... and we headed back to our campsite.

I saw a few squirrels making mischief in the campgrounds but I was so sleepy after so much swimming, I decided to chase them later.  For now, I'm going to take a well-deserved nap and dream about my visit to Mount Rushmore and its 4 great men in history... 

In fact, my dad is so cool, I'm gonna dream about 5 great men in history...



 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment