Thursday, July 14, 2011

-- Homey Don't Play That...

My mom didn't sleep so well last night.  Between mosquitoes and bears, she just couldn't seem to hit REM.  Luckily for me, she got up around 5:30am and I got to go outside for an early morning pee, albeit a rushed one.  She kept scanning the campsite for bears the whole time and slapping mosquitoes away from her face.  Here's the sunrise:

This is our campsite:

Remember in my last post I mentioned that the trees were cut down in the campgrounds due to a pine beetle epidemic?  Check this out...


My dad suggested a nature walk.  He didn't have to ask me twice...

The State Forest was cool.  There was a lake there too ...

There were squirrels everywhere ...  but when I looked down at the trail, I saw a footprint that I did not recognize ...

Then I thought I saw something moving down in the lake ...

What the heck?  My dad said it was a moose--
It's like the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show around here ... !
Here's a nice photo of the lake...

My mom found a bench by the lake and my dad convinced her to pose for a photo ...


After our nature walk, we packed it up and headed east toward Ft. Collins, Colorado ...

We stopped along Highway 14 to take a look at Poudre Falls ...

I don't think I want to go for a swim down there ...

Here's another photo along the way--

Most of the drive to Ft. Collins was along a river.  We noticed some river rafters traveling alongside us ...

When we arrived in Ft. Collins, it was lunchtime ... yay!  I pulled up a front row seat and one of the servers brought me a bowl of water... I was so thirsty, I drank the whole bowl.  They don't call me Tank for nothin'.

After lunch, we headed north on Interstate 25 toward Cheyenne, Wyoming...

What the heck?  What's on the top of that hill?  My dad said it's a phony buffalo!

We arrived in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and entered "T-Joe's RV Park"-- 
Uh, the sign out in front worried me ... "BREAKFASF"???  What's that? 
And "BUFFETT"?  As in, Jimmy?

And then it got worse ...  Take a look at this trailer with 4 phony Christmas trees in front of it and 3 satellite dishes ...

Here's a closer look:

My dad went inside the office to pay for a campsite while my mom and I looked at each other with trepidation...  When my dad came outside and my mom pointed out the sketchy-looking trailers around (no RV's; just trailers and crappy cars), and then he realized that this place was not for us--  Homey don't play that...

So my mom went back inside the office and asked for a refund.  They were nice about it and gave us back our money.  We found another RV Park about 3 miles away called the Cheyenne KOA Campground.  The park itself was on gravel, but nice grounds-- a general store, showers, free Wi-Fi, pool, laundry room, AND a fenced doggy area complete with 2 fire hydrants... hah!

We pulled into our campsite and my dad said after we get set up, he was going to throw the Frisbee to me today in that big open field.  Oh boy! 

And then it started raining ...

Huh?  What the heck?  I've never seen this before--

My dad called it a hail storm ...  Ugh, just my luck.  So much for the Frisbee. 

Looks like we are inside the Supervan for the night...
.



No comments:

Post a Comment