Sunday, July 17, 2011

-- Hide the Potato Chips...

I didn’t wake up to the smell of bacon today, and I could have sworn it was a Sunday.  Turned out, there was a “chuck wagon” at the KOA Kampground and my mom took advantage of it.  She ordered my dad’s breakfast and brought it back to him after she took her shower.  I guess she decided to take Sunday off.  I did get bacon though, so I’m a happy boy.

I searched for squirrels at KOA and haven’t seen one; I’m just surrounded by an abundance of small children who have obviously had too much sugar… we need to get out of here …

We stayed in South Dakota and my dad suggested a wildlife tour.  He said we should explore Custer State Park around the scenic Wildlife Loop Road.  I was pretty excited to hear my mom and dad talking about a wildlife tour.  

More signs along this road…
Are squirrels wildlife?  Giant squirrels?

This was the only large wildlife I saw:

Then it happened… there were beasts everywhere:


My mom got out of the Supervan and all we had to offer the beasts were potato chips.  The white beast seemed to like the chips…
Then all of a sudden, the white beast started to run away.  My mom got back into the Supervan and as we drove away, we noticed that the white beast was running toward her little tyke.

Then we had to wait for Bambi and family to cross the road…

And then a big beast with ears like a bunny and huge nostrils came up to my dad’s window.  My dad fed him a potato chip while I tried to maintain my composure.  Those were my potato chips, you know...

And THEN my mom and dad saw this sign:
Oops...  A little late for that...
It looked as though there had been a fire.  Check out what is left of this part of the forest.


What the heck?  Buffalo?  I don't see any buffalo...

Oh my gosh!  Then we saw them… right in front of us.


We were surrounded by buffalo!  Hundreds of them, and they looked mighty hungry...  Hide my potato chips!

We made it to the end of the loop and found a new campsite at the Elk Mountain Campground in the Wind Cave National Park. 

Here’s a photo of our campsite:

Whew.  I’ve had a big day with those wild animals around here.  I think I'm gonna take a long nap under that big tree and dream about chasing a giant squirrel... 


.


No comments:

Post a Comment